SCOTT A. ROBERTS
Scott Roberts has over twenty years of experience in business and complex litigation, and his clients appreciate his exacting and aggressive commitment to their cases. In addition to countless contractual battles, Scott has handled multiple cases concerning the protection of intellectual assets, proprietary information, and trade secrets and the enforcement of non-competition agreements. Because such cases frequently involve the need to obtain or defeat requests for injunctive relief in the early stages of litigation, Scott is skilled at handling motions for restraining orders and preliminary injunctions on a fast-track basis.
Scott has extensive know-how on a wide range of employment matters, having litigated and tried an array of gender and disability discrimination actions, shareholder disputes, and commission and wage claims. He has also negotiated executive-level compensation packages and severance agreements.
Scott has defended major colleges and universities in numerous litigation matters, including discrimination and civil rights claims, breach of contract and wrongful termination claims by discharged faculty members, and lawsuits challenging student discipline.
Scott has served as lead counsel in cases in Massachusetts, New York, California, Pennsylvania, Florida, Virginia, and Idaho. He has also successfully argued cases before the Massachusetts Appeals Court, the First Circuit Court of Appeals, and the Third Circuit Court of Appeals.
Scott is the co-managing partner of Hirsch Roberts Weinstein LLP.
- Business and Complex Litigation
- Employment and Discrimination Litigation
- Non-Competition Litigation
- Technology Litigation
- College and University Law
- Northeastern University School of Law, J.D., 1987
- Tufts University, summa cum laude, 1983
Recognition and Professional Affiliations
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell in Business Litigation, Employment Litigation, and College & University Law
- Named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer (top 5% of lawyers), published in Boston Magazine, in Employment Litigation: Defense, Schools & Education Law, and Business Litigation, 2004, 2008-2012
- Contributing Author, Xpert HR
Published Works and Appearances
- Contributing Author, Employee Privacy: Massachusetts, XpertHR, a web-based employment compliance service (for a summary of this article please click here)
- Quoted, New federal policy on sex harassment spurs concern, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, (for a full copy of this article, click here)
- Quoted, Midsized firms attracting big-firm talent, MBA Lawyers Journal, (for a full copy of this article, click here)
- Quoted, Non-Compete is Enforceable, Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, (for a full copy of this article, click here)
- Seminar Chairman, Handling Experts (MCLE), 2007 and 2008
- Seminar Chairman, Civil Deposition Practice: Winning Before Trial (MCLE), 1999 to 2005
- Seminar Panelist, Advanced Deposition Skills (MCLE), 2007
- Guest Lecturer, Boston University School of Law, Confidentiality and Non-Competition Agreements, annually from 2002 to present
- Guest Lecturer, Harvard Law School, Winter Trial Advocacy Workshop, January 2008
- Massachusetts, 1987 U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
Prior to forming Hirsch Roberts Weinstein LLP, Scott was a litigation partner at Sullivan Weinstein & McQuay, P.C. and Hale and Dorr (now WilmerHale).
Contact Scott A. Roberts: